Knowing your colour season type can be a really helpful tool in building your wardrobe around timeless, slow-fashion, stylish and sustainable items that you can wear for years. Use it as a guide when you are shopping: by building your basic wardrobe around the more neutral colours and use the brighter colours as accent colours you will always be able to combine all your pieces.
The colour season types theory is based on four colour types: Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. Which seasonal type you are depends on two basic variables:
- The undertone of your skin, hair and eyes (warm/golden vs. cool/ashy)
- How light vs. deep your overall colouring and specifically your hair is.
The seasons represent the four possible variations of these two variables:
- If your natural hair colour is lighter than medium brown, you would be typed as either a Spring or a Summer and if its darker you are a Winter or an Autumn.
- If your skin tone and hair have a warm undertone, or you are a natural red-head, you would be classed as either a Spring or an Autumn;
- If your skin has a blue-ish, cool undertone and your hair is more ashy and has no golden or red highlights, you are either a Summer or a Winter type.
- Note: This is a very basic summary of the whole colour type theory. The Color Me Beautiful website provides a more detailed explanation and also mentions various exceptions, such as in very rare cases a Winter type can have almost platinum blonde hair.
Spring Type – clear, light, warm
Skin – Clear, warm undertone. Cheeks turn a peachy colour when you blush. Light skin for your ethnicity.
Hair – Light blond to medium brown, or strawberry blond. Golden or red undertones.
Eyes – Clear blue, turquoise, green, blue or light brown.
Summer Type – soft, light, cool
Skin – Cool undertone. Low contrast between hair and skin. Cheeks turn a cool, rosy colour when you blush.
Hair – Light brown to medium brown. Light ashy undertones.
Eyes – blue, grey-blue, cool green, slate, grey-brown.
Autumn Type – soft, deep, warm
Skin – Warm, golden undertone. Rich overall colouring. Low contrast between skin, hair and eyes.
Hair – Mid-brown to black, or medium to deep red. Golden or red undertones.
Eyes – Hazel, medium to black brown, olive or warm green.
Winter Type – clear, deep, cool
Skin – Cool or olive undertones. High contrast between skin, hair and eyes or a deep overall coloring.
Hair – Ashy, mid-brown or dark brown to black. Cool undertones.
Eyes – Mid-brown to black brown, grey-blue, clear blue, cool green.